« Cowher: Rivera has grown as a coach | Main | Browns sign Armanti Edwards »

October 28, 2013

Mitchell says league is targeting him

13qHKO.St.138
A few days after the NFL fined him a fifth time this year, Mike Mitchell said he believes the league is targeting him and had some pointed words for commissioner Roger Goodell.

Another fine might be forthcoming for the Panthers' physical and outspoken free safety.

Mitchell was one of five players from St. Louis and Carolina who were fined for their roles in the fights and shoving matches during the second half of the Panthers' 30-15 victory on Oct. 20.

Mitchell, a former Oakland Raiders player in his first year with the Panthers, drew a $7,875 for taunting after a fourth-quarter hit on Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, who sustained a season-ending knee injury on the play. Mitchell celebrated in front of the St. Louis bench, but said he didn't realize Bradford had been injured.

"I think there's a little bit of a targeting system they have. And I think I'm one of the guys they've been looking for," Mitchell said Monday. "I'm OK with that. The coaches and my teammates know who I am, know the type of player I am."

Mitchell said his five fines have totaled close to $45,000 -- money he said has gone "right in Roger's pocket."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on October 28, 2013 at 03:21 PM | Permalink

Comments

I like the panthers and I like mitchell. But here's the deal. When you do a celebration dance standing over a player laying on the ground writhing in pain, you should get fined. And don't give me the "he didn't know he was hurt" B.S. Watch mitchell did was the perfect definition of taunting. Let'd go Mitchell. Fly right.

Posted by: Greg | Oct 28, 2013 3:53:06 PM

Mitchell scares me. I think he is a good player, but he goes off the handle too often. I think his antics could hurt us at a crucial moment in a big game. Remember your team Mike.

Posted by: Dan | Oct 28, 2013 4:09:05 PM

I like Mitchell. Let's get him under contract! Every good D needs a nasty streak.

Posted by: Jeff Otah | Oct 28, 2013 4:36:44 PM

Greg, you are wrong. Mitchell had no idea Bradford was hurt. I saw the replay several times. He was an idiot and was excessive in his celebration for simply doing his job but it was not taunting. Just your typical showboating to get some TV camera time.

Posted by: Richard | Oct 28, 2013 4:37:34 PM

Somebody should inform Mitchell that his fine money does not go "right in Roger's pocket". Roger doesn't need it; he makes a lot more than you. And 5 fines? Where there's that much smoke, there's usually a pretty big fire.

My understanding is the fines go to charity. Maybe that will take some of the sting off, Mike. And hey, here's a thought: grow up. Maybe your teammates know you better than you think they do.

Posted by: archie | Oct 28, 2013 4:39:09 PM

The sad thing is if he hit Bradford hard he would have been lifted off his feet and he would not have twisted his knee. The only reason Mitchell was fined is because of people in St. Louis crying about Bradford getting hurt. It was a fluke play and a reflection of just how fragile Bradford really is... BTW - all NFL fines go to charity so Roger didn't put it in his pocket.

Posted by: Dom | Oct 28, 2013 4:45:21 PM

Watch the replay. His back was to Bradford when he celebrated. He did not know he was hurt and Mitchell pushed him clean (in bounds). Bradford tripped over his own feet and hurt his knee. He does not need to be fined for making a heads up play that got the defense off the field

Posted by: GET REAL | Oct 28, 2013 4:46:38 PM

If it was truly taunting, the ref would have thrown a flag. It's only because the precious hurt himself while tripping to the ground that he was fined. If Bradford jumped back up, NO fine to go with the NO flag.

Posted by: GET REAL | Oct 28, 2013 4:48:59 PM

Mitchell's an idiot and here's why:
After he pushed Sam out of bounds, there was no need for him to get up and celebrate in front of the Rams bench with hands and closed fist in the air like he did!! No matter if Sam was hurt or not, that incites a fight from the opposing players...JUST DUMB!
Also just his very comments in the article proves he's dumb b/c others were fined too NOT just him, so why does he feel the need to draw attention to himself and the commissioner by calling his name out??? Again dumb and an idiot.
And finally, everyone knows in the league Mitchell can play dirty! Heck Cam even knew that! So yes you will be targeted b/c of your style of aggressive play and moves! Clean it up and just play ball! I would hate to see this dude get a penalty that could cost the team a game b/c of his aggressive sometimes questionable play!!
Mitchell DONT HURT THIS TEAM's CHANCES!!! Keep your mouth shut or you will find yourself looking for another team after the season bro!!!

Posted by: One Concerned Fan | Oct 28, 2013 4:52:43 PM

we need more killer players like mitchell if we want to win. Maybe we can trade Stewart for Suh ??

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 28, 2013 5:15:54 PM

I think Mitchell is excellent!! We need to resign him!!

Its crazy that without Godfrey will suddenly have three, dare I say...Good Safeties! (Mitchell, Lester & Mikell) Wish we had just one of these guys last year!!! Might have made the playoffs after beating ATL twice.

Posted by: Mitch | Oct 28, 2013 5:17:37 PM

I think nfl football has become a pussy league, why don't they just give up and put flags on all the offense so nobody will get hurt.

Posted by: Luke | Oct 28, 2013 5:25:18 PM

I agree Luke.

he wasn't even really pushing him, Sam got hurt so they wanted to fine him. It was bad luck for Sam. super lame.

I want to see defense be excited every time they get a hard hit or take someone down. Sure, people will get hurt....Get The Cart.

I hope the panthers all gave mitchell the Bounty for that one.

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 28, 2013 5:28:32 PM

Greg, YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG. You sit down and watch the tape (like you told everyone else to). I've watched it several times. He raised his arms immediately because he had smashed him out of bounds (guess he should've slid, eh???), and he STOPPED him from getting a first down....BOTH reasons to celebrate. This game happens fast. You didn't see Mitchell run right over and ask him "are you hurt?".....and then decide whether to celebrate or not celebrate, did you? The fine is BS. There's a good chance I may call Mitchell up and pay the fine for him. I've had enough of Goodell targeting him.

Posted by: willy loman | Oct 28, 2013 5:35:24 PM

Please re-sign Mitchell. We need players with his edge and toughness. I LOL'd when he did the arms outstretched pose with his head back yelling AND he did it on their sideline. Way to go Mitchell. Reminded me of when T.O. did the arms outstretched, head back pose on the Dallas star in Cowgirl Stadium when he was a 49er. LOL

Posted by: D.W.G. | Oct 28, 2013 6:08:39 PM

Mike, you wiped out a starting NFL QB...you are going to get fined by the National Football League.
Just pay the fine and move on. You'll get a new contract for 2014, as you have done a superb job for the Panthers!

Posted by: Armanti asks "Paper or Plastic?" | Oct 28, 2013 6:38:46 PM

I like Mitchell and did not see his reaction to a key tackle as taunting. But did see it as ill advised in front of the other teams bench. I would advise Mitchell to stop the "targeting" talk. He can't win that game. Focus on football and getting to the playoffs. Play as hard and clean as you can. The game is rough enough as it is. Additional damage is not warranted.

Posted by: psl | Oct 29, 2013 9:14:42 AM

he's done a better job in the regular season when it matters than he did in the preseason.

in preseason it seemed like every play was a 15 yard penalty.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 29, 2013 11:59:30 AM

and let's keep in mind that godfrey will be back next year so he isn't exactly needed

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 29, 2013 5:09:47 PM