« Rivera: In some respects, the Panthers should have arrived by now | Main | Panthers release WR Armanti Edwards »

October 07, 2013

Steve Smith: Game official was "garbage"

Panthers wideout Steve Smith took responsibility for his dropped touchdown pass in Sunday's 22-6 loss at Arizona -- and then took repeated shots Monday at one of the game officials who worked the game.

Smith was upset with several calls and non-calls in the defensive backfield, saying the Cardinals' coverage crossed the line from physical to "molesting."

"I got a (pass interference) penalty, which is very interesting. I got leg-humped and hugged a few times. Being a pretty good flag football player, I think I got my flag pulled on my jersey a few times," Smith said. "I would say pretty much, I take that one on the chin and just say it was me. I've got to play better."

Smith, who was covered by cornerback Patrick Peterson most of the game, said he had a conversation during the game with umpire Dan Ferrell about the Cardinals' tactics.

"I was told by the referee -- whatever judge he was, No. 64 (Ferrell). He told me on my route (that) I felt like I got held, where (Peterson) had the back of my jersey and used that to slingshot his way through and bat the ball down. He said he grabbed my jersey, he saw it, but he didn't think it was enough that changed the course of the route," Smith said.

"I've only been playing football for a little bit, just picked it up. So I said OK. I really believe years past I would've went off. But that's what he felt and that's what he said and he repeatedly explained it to me."

But Smith wasn't done.

About the Peterson pass breakup described above, Smith said: "It was pass interference in Mexico, Europe, rugby -- in pretty much every other sport but in Arizona yesterday. But then when I pushed off it was pass interference."

Smith is aware his comments about officials could draw a fine from commissioner Roger Goodell.

"To be honest, I make enough money where if Roger wants to fine me he can. But I really think that referee probably was the sorriest referee that I have ever met," Smith said.

"When I dove for the first down (and) he was standing right there, he didn't even acknowledge -- he received a check that day and I hope he feels good. He was terrible. He was garbage."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on October 7, 2013 at 05:18 PM | Permalink

Comments

Shouldn't fine him for speaking the truth

Posted by: Bryan | Oct 7, 2013 5:32:27 PM

You were a rookie once too Smitty. He was doing his job and made a mistake. Carry on.

Posted by: Nitwit | Oct 7, 2013 5:38:15 PM

Preach, Brother Steve . . . Preach. I'm glad someone is fired up. Light a fire under these men!

Posted by: Mark | Oct 7, 2013 5:39:40 PM

I've notice in all the games the refs are allowing the DB's to us hands to slow down route runners and that five yard rule doesn't apply. The DB's have all the advantages and the receivers have to really fight to get off the press coverages. Then they call Captain for pass interference when he beat the man to the spot. He shouldn't have to move to allow a route.
Are you sure that they didn't sneak the replacement refs back in during the night?
They are allowing a lot. It's even hard for some of the good teams to overcome.
The DB's will always try to push the envelop and see how much they can get away with. Refs have to start calling some of this mess. It takes away from the game.

Posted by: Stephen | Oct 7, 2013 5:45:51 PM

Sheridan`s line has the Vikings as 2.5 favorites to beat Panthers next week. We are 2.5 underdogs against the Vikings. Anyone surprised?

Posted by: joe | Oct 7, 2013 5:54:36 PM

@ Joe No I'm not surprised when Cam can't hit a barn from the inside with a football. Beason is just the start of house cleaning ,and I expect Cam will be traded & Rivera will be fired ,Cam might be able to fetch a mid round pick ,and there's a huge QB class coming out that can put touch on a ball Aaron Murray to start with.

Posted by: QB | Oct 7, 2013 6:04:14 PM

QB I agree...WHEN will Cam get some responsibility for HORRIBLE play and leadership what is his record 14-32 Geez!..time for Cam to go!

Posted by: John Fox | Oct 7, 2013 6:06:24 PM

I've said this since he's been here he is NOT a NFL QB ,so in your face Auburn Cam lovers!

Posted by: Panthers1995 | Oct 7, 2013 6:07:31 PM

Can't wait til you Kitty's play my Saints ,so bring plenty of pouty towels for your cry baby QB that can't throw a pass accurate for sh*7 funny how y'all thought he was the man! Oh he can run & pass! Oops make that just run LOL!

Posted by: seenthisb4 | Oct 7, 2013 6:10:43 PM

The only QB that's worse than Cam is Schaub...-2.5 @ the Vikings hello that's a get outta town for free card for Cam If we lose...Please draft a real QB like McCarron or Murray!

Posted by: TWIGGY | Oct 7, 2013 6:13:04 PM

He's got a right to expose crap officials. Think about it though. We were bitching about replacement officials a year ago and now the regular zebras still can't get the calls right. But we have less chaos

Posted by: zemeni | Oct 7, 2013 7:27:27 PM

God bless Steve Smith! About time someone told the truth, I record the games and break down every play, from each player on the screen. It is very obvious the NFL will not be happy until they have the LA Panthers. This is not a sport, it's a business! Don't expect many wins until they take our team away, like the NBA did years ago. God also bless Jerry Richardson, because I am sure he has figured that out by now. Sad because if any owner has earned respect, it should be him!

Posted by: LB3 | Oct 7, 2013 9:08:51 PM

Absolutely! I was coming up with new names for the officials the whole game! When are we going to admit that there are officials taking kickbacks from gamblers to make sure teams don't cover the spread? It's happening folks... no doubt!

Posted by: John | Oct 7, 2013 9:53:42 PM

Yea theres a reason why we didnt have a sacknin second half and it was like Cards. knew it.
Defensive holding fing Joke, OPI on smitty laughable they could call that sht on every play. Had Rivera not challenged that spot. Fing disgusting! SMH! Senn on the unsportsmanlike conduct when the dude tripped. All these did not cause us to lose, plenty of blame to go around. Goddell better investigate the Refs.on this game. Something was SHADY. i expect this crap when we play NY, Dallas, new.england etc.

Posted by: disgusted | Oct 7, 2013 10:56:41 PM

Yeah conspiracy theory?...Sure Bad Head coach/QB/previous GM explanation period!

Posted by: TWIGGY | Oct 7, 2013 11:27:07 PM

Why do the Panthers make things so difficult. With our light out defense we need to bring back the West Coast offense with 5 yard passing here or there and let De Angelo Williams do the rest. It could not me more simple than that especially when Cam thinks to much in the pocket and is not very accurate. Either this or start Anderson. Anderson has more experience and makes better reads. The only reason people are so infatuated with Cam is because he looks better physically and is more athletic. I would pick accuracy and the ability to think in the pocket and make better reads over physical ability.

Posted by: GUESS WHO | Oct 7, 2013 11:43:48 PM

Smitty stop complaining. Don't drop that TD pass and it's a different game. You lost so now you whine like a 2 year old? Give me a break. This is why the Panthers are horrible -- our "leaders" like Cam and Smitty are nothing more than crybabies.

HIT THE ROAD! ALL OF YOU! Ron, Cam, Shula, Smitty, Deangelo, LaFell, the entire secondary, Injury-Stew... keep Ginn, Kuechly, and our Defensive Line that is all.

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 8, 2013 7:18:27 AM

Twiggy stfu!! All in all they were sht calls that killed our momentum each time, two caused the safety. All the instances i said. There is no bad calls tjat blatant one after another. Ref. was pissed at somebody. Glad Smiity brought it up maybe he gets fined it will get looked at and sure thats why he said something.

Posted by: disgusted | Oct 8, 2013 8:01:34 AM

DON'T GET ME WRONG WE DESERVED TO LOSE!!

Posted by: disgusted | Oct 8, 2013 10:12:57 AM

@ disgusted blaming the refs really! don't be that guy the team stinks period ,and just like under Fox the penalty's are as bad or worse ,and the QB can't hit a bull in the arse with a shovel!

Posted by: TWIGGY | Oct 8, 2013 12:08:09 PM

Im not blaming the Ref.s for the loss how many ways can i say it!! HOWEVER their calls were BULLSHT. I want it looked at if u had watched the game REALLY watched it u would feel the same they were unacceptable amd Smitty had every right to be pissed.
The Refs.didnt cause Cam to throw interceptions Etc.(plenty of blame to go around). Those bad calls however caused momentum to change and kept The Cards moving no question. You cant see that than need to put beer down or watch the entire game.

Posted by: disgusted | Oct 8, 2013 2:26:57 PM

disgusted, is not just with Ref.s but with team, we are bad. Just like a freaking squirrel dont know which way to go.or what to do. Coaching down! Too much to list and we all want same thing. If i had to pin point a few things.. forget it theres too many.
Maybe we get Stewart back we can really pound the ball up in there. The o-line is not gonna make big holes to run through. Deangelo has done well but as soon as soon as he gets touched he starts.going down, maybe scared of fumbling.

Posted by: disgusted | Oct 8, 2013 2:52:39 PM

what the eff happened with the charles johnson sack? every replay angle showed the ball coming out before palmer was down.

is there any angle that shows palmer hanging on to the ball or was this some sort of tuck rule reinvented?

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 8, 2013 5:28:38 PM

yea that was a blown call also, they made up for it when Cam was ruled down when he fumbled it is my guess. Worst case scenario (for Ref.s)the very same thing happens shortly after, so they had to call it the same. My opinion that game was gonna be called one sided by the complete Crew from the start.

Posted by: disgusted | Oct 8, 2013 7:33:43 PM

if your talking first half. I was so disgusted i didnt watch last half of the 4th.

Posted by: disgusted | Oct 8, 2013 7:50:15 PM