« Thoughts on controversial ending to Panthers' win over Pats | Main | Cam Newton becomes comic book hero »

November 19, 2013

Source: Johnson has a sprained MCL

An MRI exam Tuesday revealed Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson has a sprained MCL in his right knee, according to a league source.

Johnson was injured in the third quarter of the Panthers' 24-20 win over New England on Monday when Patriots right tackle Marcus Cannon leg-whipped Johnson.

Johnson's status for Sunday's game at Miami is uncertain.

Johnson, who leads the Panthers with 8.5 sacks, sat out several series before returning for the Patriots' final drive.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera called Cannon's leg-whip a "disappointing play," but stopped short of calling it a dirty play.

"I'm pretty adamant about it because it happened to me when I played. And I actually fractured my leg and sprained my anterior cruciate," said Rivera, a former Bears linebacker. "So whenever I see one of those, it really disappoints me. I know the league is aware of it, mostly because everyone in America saw it last night. So the league will handle that situation."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on November 19, 2013 at 02:54 PM | Permalink

Comments

And he will be out what a month?

Posted by: Big Rob | Nov 19, 2013 3:17:36 PM

"Disappointing play" ? How about dirty. It was clear this was out of frustration that he was beat by CJ on the play.

Posted by: Shaun NJ | Nov 19, 2013 3:18:59 PM

We can take Mia without him i think...would love to have him out there but rest up Super Bowl not until Feb! GO PANTHERS!!

Posted by: tre'4boi | Nov 19, 2013 3:34:12 PM

Frank Alexander will definitely HAVE to step up. This team is primetime with all the Dion Sanders hot sauce all over it, and the defense will now have to rally behind players who can deliver and make this team truly great from the inside out. Keep pounding!

Posted by: Big Rob | Nov 19, 2013 3:36:06 PM

Yeah, none of the Patriots criers are talking about this 'no call', which was an intentional attempt to injure. Karma has come to visit you Patriots.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 19, 2013 3:47:29 PM

I have seen soooo many calls go the way of the Patriots over the years especially if anyone with bad breath goes near Tom Braby. It was fun to watch them get all upset when it didn't go their way for a change. I will feel bad about this call when Patriot fans apologize for the tuck rule. Panthers are back...finally!!!

Posted by: Dr Claw | Nov 19, 2013 4:14:30 PM

Afraid to say -Carolina done.

Posted by: par404 | Nov 19, 2013 4:33:32 PM

Where's Procton now?

Posted by: Cam Newton | Nov 19, 2013 4:45:21 PM

As I have stated before, Patriots play dirty just like their coach is dirty. No, none of them will say anything about this NO CALL, because in their eyes, there was no infraction. Either way, their suppossed no call did not cost them the game. Go Panthers, get well big Charles.

Posted by: Mike Jewell | Nov 19, 2013 5:09:20 PM

better now than later. I say let him sit the next 4 weeks regardless of how he feels. hopefully have him for the home game against the saints and playoffs.

Posted by: charlottean | Nov 19, 2013 5:15:27 PM

Good hope Steve Smith and his ugly son gets leg whipped next

Posted by: Kenny Diamond | Nov 19, 2013 5:30:53 PM

Dear Kenny Diamond - What's your address?

Posted by: Steve Smith | Nov 19, 2013 5:38:52 PM

Typical think they no it all poor losers I'm talking about patriots fans can't just admit they got beat and move on karma does have its ways all those games they won by filming the other teams final practices has finally caught up with them they have a dispicabel coach they are a dirty organization and come from a dirty city diamond u are classless

Posted by: no 1 fan | Nov 19, 2013 5:49:41 PM

Yeah, the Panthers are certainly on a role. I get the Panther fans excitement. BE CAREFUL about getting TOO PRIDEFUL... Injuries hurt a team & can destroy a season. It's easy for teams to lose a few elite players (God forbid) in just a few games. Carolina has a nasty schedule. Don't nap on Miami. They beat The Colts, Bengals along with 3 other teams. And lost games in the final seconds just as New England did Monday night. Take them for granted, a team that has MUCH to prove and the talent to do it and you end up in a trap game. Add in two games against New Orleans, a game against a Tampa Team who has won 2 straight and are looking like the team people thought they would be. And a Jets team who can out coach you in a heart beat because you never know who you get and the season can go sideways REAL EASY.... ENJOY IT.... But Don't think yourselves invincible.... February is a LONG WAY away... and 1 loss in post season sends a team to the gold course... Just ask Denver.

Posted by: Derek | Nov 20, 2013 1:24:02 AM