« New fourth down robot can keep track of Riverboat Ron | Main | Saints seeking to break noise record »

December 04, 2013

Charles Johnson says he'll play vs. Saints

Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson's sprained knee isn't yet 100 percent, but Johnson expects to play Sunday against New Orleans.

"I'm still building up to (100 percent), but I'll be good to go on Sunday," Johnson said Wednesday. "It's feeling good. It's getting stronger. I'm just ready for Sunday."

Johnson missed two games with a sprained MCL in his right knee, an injury he sustained when New England offensive tackle Marcus Cannon leg-whipped him in the third quarter of the Panthers' Monday night win on Nov. 18.

Cannon apologized to Johnson after the game, and was fined $15,750 by the league office.

"It was kind of disappointing. But things happen. That's how it goes," Johnson said. "I was disappointed a little bit just because I wanted to be out there on the field so bad. But we're winning. So I can't complain."

Johnson said he probably could have played last week against Tampa Bay if necessary, but wanted to give his knee extra time to heal. Johnson said he doesn't think returning to the game for the Patriots' final series made the injury worse.

"It was already messed up from the get-go. I just wanted to be out there, try to make a play," he said. "It was hurting. But at the same time, you've got to do what you've got to do."

Johnson and running back DeAngelo Williams, who missed the Tampa Bay game with a quad injury, were among the players who practiced on a limited basis Wednesday.

Reserve linebacker Jordan Senn (hamstring) and running back Jonathan Stewart (ankle) were out, although Panthers coach Ron Rivera said he's not worried about Stewart's status.

Three veterans were given the day off: offensive linemen Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton and defensive tackle Dwan Edwards.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 4, 2013 at 03:58 PM | Permalink

Comments

ALRIGHT, we're on a roll here. Lets keep it going. I said I thought we could make it to the Super Bowl and I still think so. If we just stay focused. I'll have to come to Carolina and bring the guys some old fashion remedies for the aches and pains. Guys have you ever heard of EPSOM SALT? Now they have red alcohol also. Keep the winnings coming, we can do it. Guys don't get over confident and let these last four games get away. GO PANTHERS.

Posted by: BRENDA | Dec 4, 2013 5:58:02 PM

Thanks for the jinx Brenda!

Posted by: Ralph | Dec 4, 2013 8:35:12 PM

The running backs are having all kinds of problems in staying healthy. I think the team will be ready for a Sunday Night Prime Time Gane. Lets go Panthers!

Posted by: Whitecomet77 | Dec 4, 2013 9:33:41 PM

I don't think Johnson should due playing with the knee like that.

Posted by: Big Rob | Dec 4, 2013 10:58:58 PM

it's the biggest game of the year. he absolutely should be playing if he's anywhere close to game ready. he is arguably our most impactful player.

we lose this game, you can almost guarantee we're looking at 5th seed and 3 road games as the road to the superbowl instead of a bye week, 1-2 home games.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 4, 2013 11:10:45 PM

Ron...Ron...Ron...Impressive!!! Is all I can think of.Its looking like every game here on out has so much meaning,Its like our backs are against the wall and the only option is to win (PERIOD)and keep this feeling going till the end of the Superbowl and we are VICTORIOUS.Its time for the players that have sore ankles to tape them up and Battle on!!! This is going to be a hostile envirement Sunday night especially after what the Seahawks did to them ,We must bring our A-game this week,Stewart has to cut once and GO no side stepping hit the hole fast and hard GASH`EM, Please Stewart TAPE the ankles and run fast and hard its the NFL there`s times we have to play through pain to get to the next level.GO PANTHERS KEEP POUNDING!!!

Posted by: Joe | Dec 5, 2013 2:50:04 AM

Take a look at some film footage of Walter Payton back in his great career, Please look at the amount of tape that was on his kleets and ankles, The man was a BEAST at the point of contact,He would punish the defender,The tape must of helped or he would not of played,And complained to the coaching staff my ankles are sore I`m out this week.May I say (SACRIFICE) to contribute and complete our goal,GO PANTHERS!!!We can HEAL after our goal is accomplished BATTLE ON TEAM!!!

Posted by: Joe | Dec 5, 2013 3:09:56 AM

there's medical research out that shows taping the ankles to limit the movement of the joint puts extreme pressure on the knee and hips and even feet to compensate for that restriction.

other than that - i just think stewart needs a few more reps to get back into it. just like with beason and davis....these guys can't come back and instantly be top form after missing a year of action. they need a few hits to get back to it.

he'll be fine.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 5, 2013 3:13:05 PM

I do here ya' I'm old school grew up watching Dorsett, Payton, Dickerson, Riggins, Roger Craig you just didnt have the achilies injuries and ankle injuries like todays running backs do and most of them taped there ankles back then, The knee is a much larger joint than the ankle and there fore can with stand more pressure.Just say in ,Maybe that way Stewart could finish a whole 16 game season for once.

Posted by: joe | Dec 5, 2013 4:17:46 PM

PLEASE GO TO NFL.COM AND VOTE OUR PANTHER PLAYERS INTO THE PRO BOWL THIS YEAR!!!!! We need to get a "movement" going!!!!!!

Posted by: PattieK | Dec 5, 2013 4:22:00 PM

Guys were 3 point underdogs by sheridans odds , There favoring NO Saints to beat us buy a field goal.

Posted by: joe | Dec 5, 2013 6:35:11 PM

The Saints aren't going to beat us.

Posted by: Sommer Medford | Dec 6, 2013 1:29:12 PM

where are all those "4 in 18" clowns?

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 6, 2013 2:08:36 PM

The Panther's are going to beat down the saints just like the Hawks did,the saints are not as good as some (self proclaimed) experts say they are. Every game I've watched the saints play this year they didn't impress me at all,and they are beatable at home in the newly named (after the game)whodat beatus dome.

Posted by: officer jim | Dec 6, 2013 11:30:22 PM

Does Jonathan Stewart ever practice?

Posted by: George Turnip | Dec 7, 2013 2:37:57 PM

Stewart needs to have a stellar last 4 games this season , he's not stayed healthy during his career here with the panthers, Hell I'd tape up everything to try and save my job next season remember his salary is not cheap and with other teammates producing on a regular basis he needs to show his worth.

Posted by: Anonymous | Dec 7, 2013 4:22:01 PM