« Saints will start rookie at left tackle vs. Panthers | Main | Steve Smith misses practice, expected to play vs Saints »

December 18, 2013

Hardy says he'll take a hometown discount from Panthers

With two weeks left in the regular season, Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy said he still hasn't heard much from the team's front office about a contract extension.

But Hardy said Wednesday he'd be willing to give the Panthers a hometown discount to stay in Charlotte.

"I'll take some cut for the city. I still want what I deserve or what I feel (is) close to what I deserve," Hardy said. "But I'll definitely take a small cut for the city."

Hardy, making $1.35 million in the final year of his four-year, rookie contract, is second on the team behind end Charles Johnson with eight sacks. Hardy also has 33 quarterback pressures -- nearly twice the total of Johnson, who missed two games with a sprained knee.

Johnson signed a six-year, $76 million deal in 2011 that was the richest in team history. But the free agent market has cooled since then.

Defensive end/outside linebacker Paul Kruger received a five-year, $40 million deal from the Brown last offseason. Kruger has 4.5 sacks in 14 games this season.

"I ain't going to put no number on it. I just know I've been here for close to minimum for a long time," said Hardy, a sixth-round pick from Ole Miss in 2010. " The one thing that holds consistent is -- there's always going to be ups and downs in deals -- but good players are going to get paid. Or good players with good agents."

Drew Rosenhaus, Hardy's agent, has declined to comment on the negotiations with the Panthers.

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman had said he does not discuss contract talks.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 18, 2013 at 04:51 PM | Permalink

Comments

You have to wonder what he feels is fair. The guy thought he would get 30 sacks this year. If he takes that inflated sense of being then he will want a $100 million deal.
I don't envy Gettleman on this. I think this will be a very difficult and if not ugly negotiation.

Posted by: Rob K | Dec 18, 2013 5:29:42 PM

Based on his production, his effort, his durability..I say pay the young man enough to keep him here. Not a break-the-bank deal, but a fair deal. It's great to have players come up in your organization who WANT to be here and want to STAY here.

Posted by: J. Mixon | Dec 18, 2013 5:31:38 PM

There are going to be some tough times ahead. Kraken, Cam, Luke, Star, those guys are going to command a good penny on the market. We've done well recently in the draft, but the bills are going to come due soon! Hope Gettleman is ready and Jerry has his checkbook ready.

Posted by: DaveT | Dec 18, 2013 5:53:04 PM

With Greg/Kraken in the mix that is a great young defensive core for the long-term.

Posted by: Timmy | Dec 18, 2013 5:55:32 PM

Hey, Rob. Ever hear of hyperbole?

He'll do right by the team. I worry more about this team's front office.
I trust none of them. I also believe Rivera is getting far too much pub.

Posted by: Scott Bryan | Dec 18, 2013 5:55:35 PM

Rob...he said 50, not 30. Get you facts straight before you post your doom and gloom comment. Would you rather he say his goal is 2 sacks so you could complain about that as well? Hardy is great for this team and shows it by stating the hometown discount. He cares about the team staying intact. If anything, we need more guys like the Kraken. We should draft players from Hogwarts more often!

Posted by: Rob ur a blob | Dec 18, 2013 6:36:27 PM

I usually don't comment, but... Scott Bryan, you are a tool. Go away.

Posted by: Ron Z | Dec 18, 2013 6:38:16 PM

i'm with you ron z.....

5 years for 40 million seems about right. dude probably wants pep type money. he's not that guy........yet?

i just wish he would stop with all the lame kracken and nickname BS that somehow some way some of you find entertaining. dude just needs to stick to rushing qb's and s the eff up.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 18, 2013 11:04:42 PM

Win a Superbowl. The rewards will come.

Posted by: Grumperson | Dec 19, 2013 8:37:19 AM

Would love to give the guy a bunch of money. Agree with DaveT that a bunch of players are going to have to be paid (Cam, Luke, Star) so front office will need to be smart about who they pay and who they don't. Front office will also need to continue to draft well to keep pipeline full.

Posted by: ATL Drew | Dec 19, 2013 10:07:10 AM

charlottean, I would really like for you to tell Hardy face to face that the name kracken is lame and BS and I don't see you calling him dude either. I see you as someone who talks bold when you don't have to face someone in person.

Posted by: officer jim | Dec 19, 2013 12:12:26 PM

U guys r funny. Yeah u gotta find a way to pay him. Go cheap on wrs and hbs in the future but pay ur def.

Posted by: DC | Dec 20, 2013 1:01:44 PM

great
i love your blog a lot.

Posted by: موقع لحجز الفنادق | Dec 21, 2013 9:10:59 AM

How about they dump oft injured Jonathan Stewart to help Pay DE Greg Hardy. Gettelman & Richardson will have some hard choices to make and that is a pretty good problem to have.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 27, 2013 4:10:30 PM