« Knee injury sidelines Jonathan Stewart for at least this week | Main | Replay: Person, Fowler answer Panthers questions »

December 09, 2013

Greg Hardy explains 'Hogwarts' Sunday Night Football introduction

By now, you've probably seen Greg Hardy's 'Sunday Night Football' introduction. But in case you haven't, here you go.

The Panthers defensive end, while in sunglasses, referred to himself by his nickname and said he went to Harry Potter's Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

It's been hailed as potentially the best player introduction ever. Because of that, I had to follow up with Hardy after we asked a series of football-related questions following Carolina's 31-13 loss on Sunday night.

"It’s just the Kraken," Hardy said. "Mystical. It’s where he lives at."

I told him he may* be mixing his stories. The Kraken is a mythical sea creature and Hogwarts is from a series of J.K Rowling fantasy novels.

"I can do whatever I want," he said. "I’m the Kraken. If you feel like you can ask the Kraken personally where he goes to school at, and prove me wrong, then I feel like I’ll change it."

But you went to Ole Miss?

"That’s not where I said I went, though," Hardy said. "Now, G Hardy went to Ole Miss. That’s mind-blowing right there."

Here's how the whole thing came about: The NBC crew was in town last week filming player introductions. After practice, Hardy went to film the take--in sunglasses--and said "Kraken, Hogwarts."

"After practice, I’m tired," he said. "I'm trying to be as nice as I can. They said, 'Are you sure?' (I said) 'Yeah that’s all I got for you. Kind of want to go to sleep now.'"

"I did (wear sunglasses). That was kind of my touch though. Figured why not? YOLO (You only live once). I can’t get in more trouble than I already did. I’m not riding a motorcycle. I’m not getting kicked out of something. I feel like I’m doing pretty good."

Hardy's introduction ranks among the best, along with Terrell Suggs' "Ball So Hard University." Coincidentally, Hardy was in the locker room Monday wearing a black t shirt with "Ball So Hard" printed on the front.

"I was excited about it. I’ve been talking about it for years. It was an honor. I figured I’d have some fun with it and enjoy the moment if it never comes back."

*Update: Hardy may have been correct when he said Hogwarts is where the Kraken lives. There is a giant squid that could be a Kraken that lives in Black Lake. (h/t to reader Katelyn.)

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on December 9, 2013 at 05:51 PM | Permalink

Comments

Awesome, I'm glad "The Kracken" got a big kick of that stunt. Maybe next Sunday, he can try playing defense.

Posted by: Dickson Troy | Dec 9, 2013 6:29:12 PM

All Greg Hardy did was make himself look like a fool and an idiot. He was more interested in being stupid than making plays.

Posted by: Jon | Dec 9, 2013 8:13:38 PM

Not to mention that Star looks like a caveman

Posted by: blaine syfert | Dec 9, 2013 8:36:11 PM

REALLY. THATS THE BEST THING YOU GUYS IN THE COMMENTS ABOVE ME CAN COME UP WITH. THAT HE SHOULD TRY PLAYING DEFENSE. TELL ME ONE PLAYER IN THE NFL RIGHT NOW THAT HAS NEVER HAD A BAD GAME. JUST NAME ME 1. DONT WORRY I'LL WAIT.

Posted by: PANTHERSFAN4LIFE | Dec 10, 2013 8:09:40 AM

PEOPLE SEEM TO FORGET FOOTBALL IS ALSO ENTERTAINMENT. AS LONG AS THESE GUYS ARE NOT OUT THERE INJURING PEOPLE ON PURPOSE OR DOING STUPID THINGS "OFF" THE FIELD. LET THEM LIVE AND ENJOY. I DONT THINK THE INTRO WAS MAKING HIM LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT AT ALL. IF YOU THINK THAT, THEN GET A LIFE. I THINK MORE SO IT HELPS CONNECT TO THE FANS THAT ENJOY WATCHING A PLAYER WITH SOME TYPE OF PERSONALITY. #KEEPPOUNDING AND I AM BEHIND MY TEAM 100%. THANKS FOR THE LAUGH GREG.

Posted by: PANTHERSFAN4LIFE | Dec 10, 2013 8:12:55 AM

I think it is about time the players put a little humor into the No Fun League.

Go Kraken!!

Posted by: Beachbum | Dec 10, 2013 8:52:13 AM

Charlotte is the most backwards town in America.
People get mad when Mike Mitchell hits someone too hard and celebrates. These guys get mad b/c Greg Hardy has fun. Get over yourselves and lighten up a little!

Not everyone has to have that Jerry Richardson delusional attitude that only "old school" is acceptable and nothing should ever change.

Posted by: Ryan C. | Dec 10, 2013 9:44:41 AM

Kracken, Hardy, Wierdo, dont care what he calls himself. Just get sacks!

Posted by: Smitty | Dec 10, 2013 10:45:28 AM

i don't get how people find this dude funny at all. just comes off lame to me.

helluva football player though.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 10, 2013 11:51:46 AM

not everyone find Jim Carey or Jimmy Fallon funny either, but to each its own. #carryon

Posted by: PANTHERSFAN4LIFE | Dec 11, 2013 7:55:23 AM

"krakken.......hogwarts"

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA DID YOU HEAR HIM?!?!?!?! HE SAID 'hogwarts' AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAS HILARIOUS

what also isn't funny at all is how he's played just well enough to merit a bigger market for himself as a free agent, but not well enough to merit us giving him the huge contract that he's surely going to ask for. that ish is dead serious. and we can't afford a DE franchise tag right about now either.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 11, 2013 1:00:44 PM

This sums up the fact the football is for entertainment! I love panthers! lol!

Posted by: David | Dec 19, 2013 11:08:34 PM