« DeAngelo Williams out vs. Bucs | Main | Saints' short week vs. Panthers even shorter with plane trouble »

December 02, 2013

Rivera will be all eyes and ears during Saints-Seahawks game

Panthers coach Ron Rivera will be in front of his TV tonight watching the Saints-Seahawks game, armed with a bowl of popcorn and a notepad.

Rivera has a chance to do some armchair preparation tonight before the Panthers (9-3) face the Saints (9-2) on Sunday in the Superdome. The teams will play twice in a 15-day span in games that likely will decide the NFC South.

Rivera admitted today he listens to the network analysts, and has picked up a few pointers based on what's said during the broadcast. He particularly likes listening to former NFL coach Jon Gruden, who will call tonight's game on ESPN.

"It’s interesting, believe it or not, listening to what’s said, especially by the commentators, because the expert analysts will come up with something," Rivera said. "I like to listen to TV copies because I like to hear to what they do say. Sometimes they might say something that might catch your attention.

"I will be up, I’ll have my notepad with me, I’ll have plenty of popcorn because I’m going to watch this from start to finish and get as much as I can out of it."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 2, 2013 at 01:22 PM | Permalink

Comments

Did Rivera mention which team he would be pulling for? With the Panthers pretty much needing to sweep the Saints regardless of the outcome tonight, it's probably marginally better for the Panthers for the Saints to beat the Seahawks.

Posted by: Graham | Dec 2, 2013 1:52:04 PM

I think you want the Seahawks to win so therefore we are tied with the Saints and can afford to split the series rather than sweep the series if they were to beat the Cheathawks

Posted by: Rob K | Dec 2, 2013 2:52:57 PM

A split with the Saints gets the Panthers nowhere, the Saints own the tiebreaker.

Posted by: Graham | Dec 2, 2013 3:24:17 PM

^^^ the only way we can still win the division while splitting the saints games is if new orleans loses 2 out of their other 3 (including tonight) and we don't lose any other games. we can't split the series and finish tied with them, they will have the tiebreaker by beating arizona.

that said, a loss to the seahawks obviously helps us more than it doesn't......but only marginally. i doubt the saints lose to st. louis or tampa bay with the division on the line.

we gotta beat them both times if we want the division. and that's the only way we get a home playoff game barring the unprecedented 5th and 6th seeds advancing to the conference championship game.

best scenario to hope for is brees and wilson start a brawl that rivals malace at the palace and get suspended for the rest of the season.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 2, 2013 3:24:37 PM

Definitely worth watching and scouting very closely. I think the Seahawks most resemble the Panthers of any team out there. Very tough defense-oriented team, mobile dourble-threat QB and under, and underrated offensive weapons. Then again, the Panthers should already know the Saints inside out.

Posted by: PantherD | Dec 2, 2013 3:29:37 PM

@charlottean: the Saints could lose to Tampa or the St.Louis. They only barely beat the Bucs (in New Orleans) before and the Rams have throttled some decent teams. Those teams are better than the Jets, who beat the Saints three weeks ago.

Posted by: PantherD | Dec 2, 2013 3:42:21 PM

i didn't know smoking pot (which is legal in Seattle btw) was a form of cheating....if anything that will hinder your performance on the field...

Posted by: Seahawks17 | Dec 2, 2013 3:54:55 PM

I really can't decide. If I was sure we'd sweep NO, I'd say let NO win. In that case, we'd have a chance at the best record over Seattle and home field adv. Still, there's risk in the wildcard if we lose out, so in that case, we'd want NO to lose to ensure a playoff. I definitely don't want us to play in Seattle, but I want to ensure we play somewhere after week 16, so I say for this one, let the Hawks win.(The Hawks do owe us one - for taking the 49'ers down a notch - oh, and for giving them week 1. Imagine the 9-2 contest between all 3 had we pulled that off in wk1.)

Posted by: aw | Dec 2, 2013 4:17:41 PM

pantherD,

you would have to give the same probability to us losing to either atlanta or the jets then.

it can absolutely happen, but it's not a high probability at this point from a sheer numbers perspective. far more likely that we split the 2 games with new orleans and both teams win the other 2 and finish 12-4. or both split the other 2 games and finish 11-5.

we beat new orleans twice, we definitely win the division regardless of the other 2. we lose to new orleans twice and they definitely win it regardless.

the loss last night to seattle increased our chances closer to 50%. the only reason it's not 50% is because they hold the tiebreaker with the loss to arizona (conference) counting before their loss to the jets and patriots (non-conference).

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 3, 2013 10:17:44 AM

No- come on Charlottean. The Jets are awful and the Falcons quit on their season weeks ago. Rams/Bucs >>>> Falcons/Jets

Posted by: PantherD | Dec 3, 2013 11:33:23 AM

Agreed. Its not even close to the "same probability."

Posted by: Ryan C. | Dec 3, 2013 1:54:27 PM