« McDermott to interview for Redskins' job | Main | Panthers will wear black-on-black uniform for home playoff game »

January 01, 2014

Panthers announce sell out in 3 minutes

Around 7,000 tickets for the Panthers' home playoff game on Jan. 12 went on sale at 10 a.m. Wednesday.

In three minutes, the Panthers had announced a sell out.

Director of ticket sales Phil Youtsey expected a strong day, and instead he got a strong 180 seconds.

A number of ticket-purchasing hopefuls tweeted at me they had trouble getting tickets at 10 a.m. This, of course, is not uncommon with tickets to a high-demand event. However, several said after ditching the online Ticketmaster site, they were able to get tickets via the Ticketmaster app on their phone well after 10:03 a.m.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on January 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM | Permalink

Comments

Bullshit. I had been on before 10 refreshing never even got a shot.

Posted by: Mike Win | Jan 1, 2014 10:41:12 AM

Scott Fowler retweeted a guy this morning who said that Stubhub went from having a few hundred tix this morning pre-10am to having over 4,000 by 10:03am. There were a bunch of actual fans who were screwed today. Let's hope the Jonathan Jones's of the world ask the team some tough questions.

Posted by: Nick W. | Jan 1, 2014 10:41:50 AM

Actual fans have season tickets

Posted by: chris | Jan 1, 2014 11:01:43 AM

We got some well after the announced sell out. Keep pounding!

Posted by: Panthers!!! | Jan 1, 2014 11:01:59 AM

Tried to get some, no shot. Advantage is that now I can sit at home, drink and eat all I want for pennies, no paying for parking, and no chance of a DUI. I screamed until I was hoarse at the New Orelans game, so I hate to miss it, but it will be fun to watch. Keep Pounding in the New Year Panthers!!! Even at home, we are still with ya!!

Posted by: Melvin Church | Jan 1, 2014 11:41:05 AM

Life is seldom fair-- welcome to big leagues folks-- easy come easy go-- it will be on TV--

Posted by: Brian | Jan 1, 2014 12:04:06 PM

Shame on the Panthers for not having tickets for sale at the box office.

Posted by: The Fact is this... | Jan 1, 2014 12:06:49 PM

These tickets should only be offered to PSL holders...you know the ones who invest 1,000's of dollars year in and year out, even when the team struggles.

Posted by: PSL Fan | Jan 1, 2014 12:13:00 PM

Posted by: PSL Fan | Jan 1, 2014 12:13:00 PM

PSL Fan - PSL holders get their tickets. The 7,000 tickets available are the surplus of tickets that aren't owned by PSL holders. 66,000 others get their tickets.

Posted by: PantherDave | Jan 1, 2014 12:18:37 PM

Hey jackass not everyone can afford psl's. You know some fans don't live in the carolina's and travel many states just to watch them play. Funny thing is I've heard many psl owners scalp their tickets anyways but, yea true fans though..

Posted by: Mike Win | Jan 1, 2014 12:41:50 PM

Got my two tickets at 10:10. Had multiple browsers on two laptops open but I finally got them - on my smartphone!

Posted by: Tom W | Jan 1, 2014 12:55:52 PM

I got in right at 10:00 and asked for two tickets in any price range. Came up and said there were no tickets available.

Someone in the Panther's office must have been printing them out for the scalpers!

Posted by: Cal | Jan 1, 2014 1:40:58 PM

It was a little bit ridiculous. I think they must have had far less tickets available than they said....sad but I guess this was the only realistic way to do the tickets, because box office would be a fiasco.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 1, 2014 2:54:59 PM

It's bullshit. Tried calling two different ticketmaster numbers and website from 9:55-10:15 and at 10:15 it said they were all sold out ! Ridiculous

Posted by: Elliot | Jan 1, 2014 2:57:45 PM

I got 2 tickets the old fashioned way. I called ticketmaster by phone about 9:50. No problem!

Posted by: John | Jan 1, 2014 3:18:40 PM

The nice FedEx man delivered my PSL playoff tickets right to my door this morning. $63 each and I didn't even have to call Ticketmaster. So THIS real Panthers fan didn't get screwed. Go Panthers! :-)

Posted by: Rick | Jan 1, 2014 4:12:47 PM

Hey Jackass, that's not my problem. I choose to spend my money on tickets and I spend my money on parking and I spend my money going to the games. So, excuse me if I feel that should put me and those who make the same choices at the front of the line in this case. I don't scalp my tickets, I go to the game and spend my money there all the time, not just when the team is good.

Posted by: PSL Fan | Jan 1, 2014 5:41:14 PM

My PSL tickets arrived today as well. Wish I could have got some extras so I could take my son and a friend as well, but oh well. Guess my wife and I will enjoy the game just as we have the rest of them this year, like every year.

Posted by: PSL Fan | Jan 1, 2014 5:45:53 PM