« Panthers bring Roman Harper in for a visit | Main | What's next for Steve Smith? »

March 13, 2014

Gettleman statement on Steve Smith

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman released a five-paragraph statement Thursday after cutting wide receiver Steve Smith.

From the Panthers' press release:

STATEMENT FROM DAVE GETTLEMAN:

When I took this position I knew that difficult decisions would have to be made along the way. To move on from a storied veteran player is probably the most difficult of all. A decision not to be taken lightly. However, after much thought I feel very strongly it’s the right one.

As I’ve stated many times, all decisions I make will be in the long term best interest of the Carolina Panthers. Decisions, either popular or unpopular, have to be made for the greater good and it is imperative to take an unemotional global view.

Sometimes it may appear that short term interests will suffer, and I can assure you we have no interest in taking a step back from our 2013 accomplishments. Nevertheless, like all NFL teams, we are in transition as we try to get into the best position going forward. When Mr. Richardson hired me I promised him that my goal would be to leave the Panthers in a better position than when I came. All my efforts are in that vein.

Over the next few months we will have the opportunities afforded by Free Agency and the College Draft to improve our roster. We also have young players who will get an opportunity. I have great trust in our evaluation process.

Steve had a wonderful career with the Carolina Panthers. I truly wish him and his wife, Angie, all of God’s blessings.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM | Permalink

Comments

Dave Gettleman just fukd up!!!

Posted by: FU mike shula | Mar 13, 2014 11:44:15 AM

Dave Gettleman's words ring very hallow because of the way this was handled. All emotion aside, from a professional business standpoint the decision to move on from a player can be done in such a way that future players can feel more confident that the work that they put in for their employers will be rewarded by showing them some dignity as well. In this case Mr. Gettleman has performed miserably. And just for the record Mr. Gettleman this is not about Steve Smith's popularity it is about common decency even when the decision is about business. SHAME ON YOU DAVE GETTLEMAN!!!

Posted by: Cyteria Knight | Mar 13, 2014 11:46:29 AM

Gettleman, I wish you were the one we were releasing...You are truly unprofessional..I cannot wait until we get a new general manager!!!

Posted by: ncmilguy | Mar 13, 2014 11:47:21 AM

Sickening

Posted by: CR | Mar 13, 2014 11:48:01 AM

I am glad that S.Smith is gone. He got slower over the years, when I watch the panthers last year smith could not break free. They also need to cut all the high price players now. We need money to get a new team, also stop getting these players what the want.

Posted by: Joseph Holbert | Mar 13, 2014 11:51:25 AM

How will this help the Panthers move toward improving the roster. Do we have another fiery leader in the locker room? None that I've seen. The other receivers we played last year are not a 10th as good as Steve. Crazy!!

Posted by: dbear | Mar 13, 2014 11:51:43 AM

I refuse to contribute any of my money towards this franchise, as long as Gettleman is employed. Hit them where it hurts, Mr. Richardson's wallet.

They raise ticket prices (again), and now they will pay $5 million to a receiver to not play for them. Is this an NFL franchise or Time Warner Cable?

Posted by: Josh | Mar 13, 2014 11:52:38 AM

It's unfortunate that the spark to this team is gone... Should have saved Smitty and sent Ron packing... Stick a fork I am done with this team.. Where's Tom Brady?

Posted by: CP | Mar 13, 2014 11:54:31 AM

Makes no sense! Smitty is better than most of the free agent WR's out there. Salary cap hit is the same if he stays or leave. He always wanted the panthers to get a # 1 WR so he could take less of a role. Gettleman thinks childish Cam is gonna take the leadership role, good luck with that. Why isn't Cam rallying for Smitty like Smitty did for him? Im sick to my stomach. Nobody gave more effort than Smitty!!!!

Posted by: FU mike shula | Mar 13, 2014 11:55:43 AM

what an embarrassment. not even a press conference. shame on you dave gettleman, shame on you. steve deserved to go out better than this.

Posted by: glenn | Mar 13, 2014 11:56:17 AM

Should of let him retire a Panther!!!!!

Posted by: FU mike shula | Mar 13, 2014 11:56:53 AM

If the move made sense on any level us fans could deal with it but, the move stinks both from a football stand point, cap stand point, and personal stand point. Gettleman botched this from step 1

Posted by: Gratefulone1 | Mar 13, 2014 11:58:08 AM

Hakeem Nick is a Bum!!!!!

Posted by: FU mike shula | Mar 13, 2014 11:59:15 AM

Bunch of whining cry babies. I absolutely loved Steve Smith, but he's old and expensive. One of the biggest rules of free agency is you don't make decision based on emotional connections. As hard as it is to see Smith go, Gettleman is moving the team forward. He will find bargain talent in the next few days and in the draft, and when the new young team is doing well, you'll forget how much of a pathetic whiner you were and start praising Gettleman for his boldness. Get over yourself. I trust Gettleman knows what he's doing since he's already proven to be wise (Ginn, Mitchell).

Posted by: Brandon | Mar 13, 2014 11:59:48 AM

F U Brandon!!!!

Posted by: FU mike shula | Mar 13, 2014 12:01:51 PM

What do you guys want to do--give Smith a parade? He's already said he's not retiring. If he were, he'd get the same treatment Gross got. But he's not. He's gonna go do well with another team that can afford his salary. And perhaps if all sides are willing, he'll return to Carolina for a day and retire, much like Kasey. This is a business, not The Bachelor.

Posted by: Brandon | Mar 13, 2014 12:03:28 PM

Since I'm pretty sure Gettlemen won't do this, I wish there was a millionaire who would rent out a large building or area and throw a "FAREWELL PARTY" for Steve Smith. In this way, the city of Charlotte and the Carolinas can show their LOVE to Steve for all he has done for us Panther Fans!

Posted by: observations | Mar 13, 2014 12:03:31 PM

Why get rid of your playmakers for no good reason?

Posted by: FU mike shula | Mar 13, 2014 12:06:38 PM

Release the Kraken!!!

Posted by: The Kraken | Mar 13, 2014 12:10:40 PM

You forget our playmaker has had 3 bad seasons in a row. I do believe a large part of that was Cam's overthrows, but Smith can't bail Cam's overthrows anymore much like he did Delhomme's. He's got the attitude of a 22 year old in a 34 year old's body, which I still believe is better than most. But thanks to Hurney's really bone headed decisions, Gettleman is still trying to fix the salary issues.

Personally, I hope Smith lands on the Patriots, 49ers, Broncos, or Seahawks. Any team that has a very high chance of making the Super Bowl. I want to see Smith win one. And it would be bittersweet for him if he got that ring by defeating Carolina.

Posted by: Brandon | Mar 13, 2014 12:11:02 PM

Amen Brandon, I am a Steve Smith fan, but I think Gettleman knows what he is doing. He is fixing Hurney's mess. I am glad to have a GM with some balls.

Posted by: Jamie | Mar 13, 2014 12:11:47 PM

what happened?

Posted by: Jerry Richardson | Mar 13, 2014 12:11:56 PM

Gettlemen - I'll tell you what, why don't you stop writing these letters, focus on restructuring some contracts and gettting some talent on this team to replace what you have lost. All the momentum from last year seems a far distant memory to how this roster is shaping up right now.

Posted by: TS | Mar 13, 2014 12:14:14 PM

Finally a real manager in the house. Love Steve, but its the end of the road. Get over it folks~

Posted by: Smith | Mar 13, 2014 12:16:50 PM

DAMN SHAME! F U CAM !! YOU'LL GET EXPOSED THIS SEASON ! FKN POSER!! F U PANTHER NATION!!! F U PANTHER ORG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SMITTY | Mar 13, 2014 12:18:10 PM