« Panthers move Charles Godfrey from safety to corner | Main | Todd McShay on Kelvin Benjamin, Panthers' failure to draft a tackle »

May 10, 2014

List of undrafted free agents going to Carolina

The Panthers drafted six of the 256 draftees this weekend. Carolina will bring in nearly two dozen undrafted free agents that the team will sign or bring in for a rookie minicamp tryout.

The Panthers will have a real interest in four or five of the guys, general manager Dave Gettleman said Saturday. He referenced DE Wes Horton, CB Melvin White and S Robert Lester as three players from last season they had interest in who turned into solid contributors and/or starters for the team in 2013.

Here's a list of the players who will at least work out with the team at next week's minicamp:

Texas CB Carrington Byndom

Ohio State WR Corey Brown

Montreal Carabins OL David Foucault

Miami OL Jared Wheeler

Missouri WR Marcus Lucas

Michigan State Denicos Allen

West Virginia DL Shaq Rowell

Ohio State OL Andrew Norwell

UAB RB Darrin Reaves

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on May 10, 2014 at 07:42 PM | Permalink

Comments

Montreal Carabins is a cool name! We should draft that dude!

Posted by: Lenny Jacksin | May 10, 2014 8:21:17 PM

That's not a name brah, that's a Canadian school

Posted by: Christoph | May 10, 2014 8:29:28 PM

Lmao 😂😂😂😂

Posted by: Gee | May 10, 2014 8:39:08 PM

Are you sure? I think that's just where they live based on the other ones.

Posted by: Lenny Jacksin | May 10, 2014 8:42:57 PM

Philly Brown and Denicos Allen are monster UDFA...may see significant playing time in a year or two.

Posted by: Rob | May 10, 2014 9:15:32 PM

Montreal Carabins is the team he played for in Canada, he was just the #1 pick

Posted by: James | May 10, 2014 9:16:33 PM

Where was Foucault the 1st pick? The CFL draft is not until Tuesday, May 13...

Posted by: Chris | May 10, 2014 9:26:04 PM

Love Andrew Norwell, should have been drafted, but I will take it.

Posted by: Keegan | May 10, 2014 9:28:46 PM

West Virginia is a cool name! We should draft that dude!

Posted by: Uncle Jesse | May 10, 2014 9:41:41 PM

Sorry, he was mocked as the consensus #1 pick

Posted by: James | May 10, 2014 9:47:35 PM

TSN has Foucault going 4th in it's last mock, but he'll likely fall now that he's signed an NFL deal.

Posted by: Chris | May 10, 2014 10:13:10 PM

G-man totally bombed this draft! I've been a supporter since day one, but this was horrible. Kelvin Benjamin was a reach, and Kony Ealy was merely insurance for Hardy. The only solid pick was Turner in the 3rd. The third day was evident that he was out of town for his son's graduation. Boston in the 4th? Benwikere in the 5th I can live with but no tackle....at all??? Except UFA???? This is not going to propel us to the next level. It just assured us that we won't be able to run the ball. Good luck, DWill! You're gonna need it!!!!

Posted by: ZachyB | May 10, 2014 10:53:20 PM

Panthers should give Payton from NC State a look. He is a big target.

Posted by: Chris | May 10, 2014 10:56:12 PM

No one knows how this draft will turn out so how can you say it's a horrible draft you don't know as do I we will see !!!!!

Posted by: What | May 10, 2014 11:07:16 PM

Zackyb fuck you

Posted by: Bill | May 10, 2014 11:30:02 PM

Hmmm, let's see. We had one of two All-Pros, of an otherwise below average offensive line, retire. Travelle Wharton basically rescued us by providing a band aid, but he will likely retire. Our RT was barely serviceable, yet he's expected to transition to LEFT tackle??? Meanwhile we fortify our defense with picks that were a stretch. All he did was replace Wharton. What about Gross??? How do I know this draft was horrible? We had the #2 defense in the NFL already, but how much did we improve the offense???? THAT'S how I know....

Posted by: ZachyB | May 10, 2014 11:32:05 PM

Really Bill?!? Awful brave of you to say that in a blog. Pretty intelligent argument too.

Posted by: ZachyB | May 10, 2014 11:44:01 PM

Nice to see there are still people sitting at home on the couch who seem to know more about being a GM than the actual GM. :)

Posted by: Kenny | May 11, 2014 12:25:37 AM

I am still wondering why we passed on OT Antonio Richardson from Tenn multiple times. Is he like a mass murderer or something?

Posted by: Cass Shay | May 11, 2014 12:29:48 AM

Hey Kenny, can YOU honestly sit there and say that you're comfortable with our offensive line?! Or did you actually watch Tre Boston in college??? I'm not claiming to know more than the GM, but let's revisit this convo in a year or two and see how this draft pans out. Deal?

Posted by: ZachyB | May 11, 2014 12:37:15 AM

Zachyb you are a clown. There will be plenty of tackles to come around in FA that will be better than any turd we could have drafted we We lost gross who at that late in his career wasn't very good. Just sit back and hate then jump back on th band wagon with the rest of the haters.

Posted by: zachm | May 11, 2014 1:01:12 AM

Zachm, I'm a clown?!? So says the guy that says Gross wasn't very good but is completely unaware that Gross graded out as the 3rd best LT in the league last year statistically. Oh, and he went to the pro bowl...no big deal. I maybe a clown, but at least I'm not an idiot....

Posted by: ZachyB | May 11, 2014 1:14:13 AM

And for the record, I LOVE the Panthers. But I have the right to have an opinion on the draft just like you do. If that makes me a hater, so be it...

Posted by: ZachyB | May 11, 2014 1:21:04 AM

I understand both sides. Gettleman said their was a big drop off from the top 4 tackles which is why he obviously didn't take one. I think our line is trash but we did have some injuries and I'm hoping that our line is better than we think it is with the slight chance Wharton comes back. I'm decently happy with the Benjamin, Ealy, and Turner pick, however being a UNC fan as well I thought it was some sort of misprint when Boston was selected in the 4th round. However, okay draft great pickup by getting Gaffney.

Posted by: Mike | May 11, 2014 4:11:18 AM

Swinging gate Wharton is not a solid tackle on pass blocking and we often ran the ball to Gross side. Gross has left the building right behind Smitty so get over it. GMan has it covered for sure. It was a smart non flashy draft just like last season. Can't wait to see how it all works out this year.

Posted by: Sports don | May 11, 2014 4:36:02 AM