« "Riverboat" Ron Rivera joins Twitter | Main | A healthy Silatolu will help solidify Panthers' interior line »

July 21, 2014

Jameis Winston: Benjamin blessed to play with Newton

399-F89NJ.St.55GREENSBORO Even though Kelvin Benjamin has a new quarterback, he still chats plenty with his old quarterback.

At ACC Football Kickoff this weekend, Florida State quarterback and reigning Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston said he and Benjamin still keep in contact regularly.

And each time they talk, Winston tells him the same thing.

“I tell K.B. every time I talk to him it’s a blessing he got the opportunity to play with Cam (Newton),” Winston said Sunday. “As I was coming up I always loved Cam’s game. I feel like we have some similar qualities—obviously he’s better. But K.B. going from me to Cam, that’s amazing.

“I think he’s really going to help Cam out and I know Cam’s always going to have an influence on his players. They’re going to have probably one of the most dynamic combinations in the NFL.”

Benjamin hauled in 54 passes for 1,011 yards and an ACC-high 15 touchdowns in 2013, including the game-winning touchdown in the national title game against Auburn.

The Panthers selected the 6-foot-5, 240-pound Benjamin with the 28th overall pick in the draft with hopes that his big-play abilities in the red zone will transfer from college to the NFL.

And while his college quarterback will closely watch Benjamin in the NFL, Winston isn’t exactly rooting for the entire Panthers team.

“I was blessed to have an opportunity to play with Kelvin,” Winston said. “And no, I'm still not a Panthers fan, but I am a Cam Newton and K.B. fan. I am an Eagles fan, to answer that.”

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on July 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

Comments

Release the Kraken!!!

Posted by: The Kraken | Jul 21, 2014 1:46:43 PM

Eagle fan. That explains everything.

Posted by: Fred | Jul 21, 2014 11:19:35 PM

Cammy Cam juice is almost here guys. Keep pounding!! For the first 200 who buy it, I will give them an autograph football.

Posted by: Cameron Newton | Jul 24, 2014 2:25:56 PM

Classic Stewart just like I said weeks ago, if he goes through without pulled hamstring I'll believe he's back(verbatim I said),likes to play but not participate in much of anything else and he thinks he's fooling anybody. We'll not a lot of us anyway!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 24, 2014 9:54:30 PM

Ya know when he snapped that awesome pic. Of lightning without getting hurt. SMH!!!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 24, 2014 10:36:21 PM

**well** Autocorrect

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 24, 2014 10:40:21 PM

10-4!!, I think you need some Cammy Cam juice to help you smile. Let's stay positive. Keep pounding!! You will get a BOGO free coupon.

Posted by: Cameron Newton | Jul 25, 2014 3:13:25 PM

Let's have It I need it!
Dude is sooooo predictable it's ridiculous! How many years we heard about guys doing this at training camp! Hell Tom Jackson I believe it was
, said he did it back in the 80's.? Pretty sure....
This is the what 3rd or 4th year for Stewart? Not saying he didn't have some issues but there are..... What's word I'm looking for? Classes of injuries? Not sure anyway!
You put them on a Otah,Stewart and then Dan Morgan scale! All of you who get it understand what I'm saying. Maybe not quite fair Otah, but just for an example.
Dan Morgan could not go less than 100 every time they were assembled.
Put Dan Morgan in Stewarts body and u got John Riggens

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 25, 2014 9:40:08 PM

I hate playing that game but it just came to mind... Stewart/Riggens

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 25, 2014 9:41:10 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I want too see it, dude gets past this and finishes camp and preseason practices up till season start.....or let's say he practices every week during season and plays!!!! I will happily admit I'm wrong!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 25, 2014 10:05:14 PM

Lets see you put on some pads 10-4.

Posted by: Martha Stewart | Jul 26, 2014 4:24:00 PM

I have. That's why its irritating!!! dudes not fooling too many!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 26, 2014 4:28:33 PM

Mr 10-4, whenever you become a Panther, I would love to block for you. Check out my youtube combine video and tell Mr Rivera to give me a call.

Posted by: John Downing | Jul 27, 2014 6:04:30 PM

Appreciate and doing an awesome job of SELLING yourself, don't stop! Close close close!!!!!!
Never will become , way past that, but busted my ass and tried!!!!!!
Guys like Dan Morgan wanted it so bad that they hurt themselves. I watched Morgan come flipping over a pile of players and said wtf!!! Man, and that was it for him for that season which was his last here. Didn't play pro ball it was right there too see. I tried for the pros! Their are some who have it!! And will wish they had done more. Painfull!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 28, 2014 1:06:07 AM

Never will become , way past that, but busted my ass and tried!!!!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 28, 2014 1:06:08 AM

Saying I never will be a pro! Too late. One of my people made it Shane Burton from my High School.
Keep busting ur A!
You will for sure!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 28, 2014 1:15:32 AM

Mr 10-4, thank you for the motivation. Me and you can bring a Super Bowl to the Panthers. Please join me on this journey.

Posted by: John Downing | Jul 28, 2014 11:52:53 AM