« Under Armour debuts offseason Cam Newton video series | Main | Rivera: No plan yet for Newton's play, if any, against Bills »

August 05, 2014

Yardwork leads to injured back for Josh Thomas

SPARTANBURG -- Carolina Panthers cornerback Josh Thomas may think twice before jumping into his next do-it-yourself project.

Thomas began training camp on the non-football injury list with back spasms that were a result of the yardwork he did at his new Charlotte-area home this summer.

Thomas said the 12-hour days he spent landscaping his half-acre backyard in Mint Hill gave his spasms and put him on the sideline for the first several days of training camp.

"It started out as I was trying to save myself some money," Thomas said Tuesday. "I thought, 'You know what, I'll go ahead and do it myself and get ready for the heat in Spartanburg.'"

Thomas, a second-team corner who started six games last season, said he bought two shovels and a pick and started in on the red clay.

"One thing led to another and I ended up doing my whole yard, all the planting. I dug up all the clay, removing rocks from the clay, hauling it over the hill," he said. "I overworked."

But the story has a happy ending: Thomas is healthy again and his wife is happy.

"My wife said she wanted to see a lot of color in the backyard," Thomas said. "She has a lot of color."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on August 5, 2014 at 02:27 PM | Permalink

Comments

Release the Wifebeater!!!

Posted by: The Kraken | Aug 5, 2014 3:07:48 PM

Josh, honey.... you forgot to wash your clothes that have red clay on them.

Posted by: Wilma Thomas | Aug 5, 2014 4:48:09 PM

thomas isn't the best cover corner around, but he is a SOLID corner in run support. Might be more valuable than the other guys we have overall because of that.

i hope he and godfrey don't become roster casualties just because gettleman wants to get rid of holdovers instead of going with the best guys.

Posted by: charlottean | Aug 5, 2014 4:51:51 PM

Did you watch the Seattle game last year?

Posted by: nick | Aug 5, 2014 9:36:17 PM

I did nick.

Posted by: Russell Wilson | Aug 6, 2014 1:41:12 PM

they lost 12-7 to seattle. no receivers over 100 yards.

is all of that on josh thomas, now? lynch went for 43 yards.

thomas got beat deep a few times early last year and that cost him the starting job. but when he was beat deep, he wasn't in 3 deep responsibility, he was man underneath with 2 deep behind him (almost every time - check the tape) and the safety was late to break on the ball or was looked off by a really smart QB like wilson.

but thomas is far from a bad football player. he's also far from richard sherman. like i said, he's solid especially in run support.

Posted by: charlottean | Aug 6, 2014 4:06:06 PM