« DeAngelo Williams 'ready to roll' | Main | ESPN's E:60 profiles Cam Newton Tuesday night »

October 29, 2014

Bell out for Saints game; Foucault to start at LT

This time last year, David Foucault was playing football at the Université de Montréal

Thursday night, he’ll protect Cam Newton’s blind side against the Saints.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera announced Wednesday afternoon the undrafted rookie will start at left tackle against New Orleans in place of injured starter Byron Bell.

“I'm excited. He's played well. He's had opportunities,” Rivera said. “It'll be interesting to see. As I said the other day, going into the season with the guys we had, we liked him but we didn't know we were going to have to play him as soon as we have. I thought he responded pretty well when he got his opportunity against Green Bay. ... And then having to play both left and right this past Sunday, I thought he did a nice job handling it.”

Foucault played left and right tackle last week against Seattle as both Bell and Nate Chandler battled injuries. Bell’s left elbow injury didn’t allow him the proper punch he needed, and he injured his knee during the Seattle game as well.

Chandler’s left thigh has given him issues for weeks, but he said Wednesday he feels “great.”

Rivera said Foucault plays more naturally on the left side of the line than the right side. Foucault will be the second undrafted rookie on the line with left guard Andrew Norwell.

Along with Bell, cornerback Bene Benwikere (ankle), receiver/return Philly Brown (concussion), guard Amini Silatolu (calf), guard Trai Turner (knee) and running back Fozzy Whittaker (quad) will not play.

Safety Thomas DeCoud will be a game-time decision with a hamstring injury. He was limited in practice Wednesday. If he doesn’t play, rookie Tre Boston will start in his place.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on October 29, 2014 at 01:59 PM | Permalink

Comments

Anyone would be better than seeing Bell standing around not engaged in a block after a sack or TFL.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Oct 29, 2014 3:01:44 PM

Good. He's going to take his lumps (as will Cam unfortunately) but I think this will pay dividends. If he starts rounding into shape maybe LT wont be a critical need in the draft as it appears to be now, allowing us to focus on DB and DE (sorry peeps, I really dont see Hardy coming back next year, even if he beats the charges in jury trial)

Posted by: Rick | Oct 29, 2014 3:20:24 PM

Did Stewie teach these guys how to get paid while sitting

Posted by: BUCKGUY | Oct 29, 2014 3:39:32 PM

“I don’t care about what people have to say about Byron Bell,” he said Wednesday after voluntary workouts. “You know what? I was born in Greenville, Texas. My mother’s name is Sanda Bell, and she loves me to death. I have a brother named Seth, he loves me. I have a brother named Elijah, he loves me. I have a brother named Isaiah – God rest his soul – he loves me. Hey, and I’m just out here trying to work and win as many football games for the Carolina Panthers as I can.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/29/3896664/carolina-panthers-bell-chandler.html#storylink=cpy

Posted by: He doesn't care | Oct 29, 2014 3:49:14 PM

Release Me!!!

BTW if we thought Gillette destroyed Jordan Gross last year, just imagine what he will do to these guys. Either way (fingers crossed while knocking on wood)

Panthers win 21-20

Keep Pounding.

Posted by: G Hardy | Oct 29, 2014 4:11:19 PM

He will be alright once I sprinkle a little crack on him.

Posted by: The Cracken | Oct 30, 2014 11:18:19 AM

@He doesn't care
The reality is that Bell has not performed up to par as an NFL tackle. He can say he doesn't care and act like the fans have some personal vendetta against him but at the end of the day it's all about performance (or lack thereof).

Posted by: Nate | Oct 30, 2014 6:17:18 PM

I couldn't care less we do win this unacceptable!

Cam and Shula can pack it up and say BYE. I've kept my mouth shut. I do think Cam is probably the best QB we ever had, But he, "he is what he is" not a very good QB for us in the near future or maybe with a better OC, idk!
Bottom line is , Cam slinging bullets every time he throws the ball and when needs touch he's firing it, needs to be fired in he lofts it up(cotchery)! I give up this dude is how many years in,!!! coach tells him slide,Nope! Gets his bell rung straight away(tonight)!

Shotgun shotgun shotgun 95% of plays. No room for play action, You Telegraph the play cause already in backfield 5 yds! Every good QB in this league runs play action from under center, not Shotgun! Another concession I would think has been made. Go and draft a 6'5" receiver to accomodate throws that are too high!

Shula is Fing ridiculous how many plays over over over again... CAM over throws guy 20 yards down field 1st down and 2nd down runs a draw (or Shotgun Run!!!) SMFH!!! Sure Jake is ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATTA BOY TO THE DEFENSE BY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this point anyway

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 10:31:59 PM

SEE WHERE REFS HEADS ARE AT!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 10:38:38 PM

Text book bullsht holding called on every play lmao!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 10:39:34 PM

What's hilarious is they know when Cams under center what's going to happen!
Lol
Never thought after John Fox I would prey for a QB under Center!!!!!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 10:43:27 PM

Scream about injuries blah blah blah this that and the other and yes HE STILL ONLY LOOKS AT TWO AND A HALF PLACES BEFORE THROWING!
The rest is flinging wide open or running. Never gave a chance before but dude does NOT SEE THE FIELD AT OPTION OR THROWING!!

ITS OVER THE CHARADE IS OVER FOR THIS GUY!!!!!!! He has talent!
A GOOG FING DEFENSE RIGHT NOW!!!

RB!s TE,s some WRs

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 11:03:21 PM

Basically cam is throwing chechdown shit or fing check down sht!

GUYS R FUKING PAYHETIC LET CREST OR WHI THE FUK EVER
THANK GOD FOR HORNETS,!!!

And seriously cam Shula is not the answer and neither the f! R u

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 11:07:53 PM

Sorry, thank goodness. I've been drinking!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 11:10:39 PM

10-4, do you need some crack? You don't need anymore alcohol.

Posted by: The Cracken | Oct 30, 2014 11:27:42 PM

I would hope we will not waste millions on contracts on players that are showing week after week they cannot get it done.Film doesnt lie just freze frame the film and look at who the ball is being thrown to then look at the other options, Is it thrown to the best option??? Most important if the correct open receiver gets it thrown his way is the throw catchable ?????? Oh yeah I did predict this 2 games back that it would be easy pickens for BREEZ..OR A BREEZE FOR BREEZ

Posted by: JOE | Oct 30, 2014 11:50:52 PM

Cracked head, idiot u can't decipher my frustration, than go play with ur self moron!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 11:51:24 PM

Let Panthers get beat by local high school teams Shelby, Crest or play JV high school teams you MORON. MAKE SENSE IDIOT!

Thank god for Hornets NOW,! Idiot!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 11:56:34 PM

Cracked u don't get my frustration than classic moronic POSITIVE SPIN ON THIS SEASON!
That MOST DONT UNDERSTAND!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 30, 2014 11:59:29 PM

I as everyone else try and disguise my/our FRUSTRATION... K LANGUAGE is not expressed as felt! Maybe not exactly English but anyone appreciates try to express without being VULGAR!
MORONS!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 31, 2014 12:09:31 AM

Seriously I was past irritated. so you have to ad some words or whatever you would like to understand my frustration in past posted comments!
GO HORNETS!!!!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 31, 2014 12:14:37 AM

and if I hear.. The reason we are bad is because... Talent or Gettleman or Rivera, than u r past wrong, or Even O-line...... You are past uninformed!
Shula and Cam, fair enough!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Oct 31, 2014 12:23:16 AM

Cam SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Cam is horrible | Oct 31, 2014 1:22:12 AM

Cam cares more about his outfits, sponsors, school, or acting like a dumbass man child (always running around pregame like he is superman flying around), rather than progress as a true professional NFL quarterback. I hope they dont pay this clown big money. Inconsistent superdud. Adults dont pretend fly around like superman. Grow up Cam and work on your quarterback craft!

Posted by: Cam is a fukn manchild! | Oct 31, 2014 1:37:10 AM

We got our butts kicked again. On national tv. Gentleman, you can't coach 6'5", but will you please instruct a coach to tell him that just being 6'5" does not make you a receiver. One must catch the ball. And yes, Cam was off, but the end zone throw was right on the money! One win in last 7 games is pathetic. If Hardy is reinstated, I fear it may be too late, unless we can fix Shula's play calling, teach Cam finesse, replenish the O line and find a new secondary. God help us.

Posted by: CarolinaGurl | Oct 31, 2014 1:47:08 AM