« Cam Newton returns to Panthers' practice | Main | Panthers can help NFC South avoid another dubious distinction »

December 18, 2014

Rivera expects Newton to start vs. Cleveland

Barring any setbacks before Sunday, Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera said quarterback Cam Newton is on target to start against the Cleveland Browns.

Rivera refused to speak in definitive terms, but conceded Newton would "probably" be the starter if he continues to progress.

Newton took the majority of the first-team reps Thursday and was listed as full participation on the official injury report. Newton sat out last week's win against Tampa Bay after sustaining two fractures in his lower back during a two-car accident Dec. 9 in uptown Charlotte, a block from Bank of America Stadium.

Newton said he didn't want his status to be a distraction before Sunday's game, which has big playoff implications for the Panthers.

"If I can play, we all know that I want to play," Newton said Thursday. "But at the end of the day, I won't jeopardize what we have an opportunity to do just because my selfishness to say, 'Oooh, I'm a tough man.'"

After missing only a handful of snaps due to injury during his first three seasons, Newton has dealt with several injuries this year. He had offseason surgery to tighten the ligaments in his left ankle, then cracked his ribs during an August exhibition at New England.

The rib injury sidelined him for a season-opening win at Tampa Bay. Backup Derek Anderson was 2-0 filling in for Newton against the Buccaneers.

"This has been a year in my whole career of playing -- I'm talking from Pee Wee, 7 years old all the way up until this day -- I've never went through this many injuries," Newton said.

"I kind of prided myself on being a tough guy. I kind of prided myself on being the guy who doesn't get hurt. And yet every week it's kind of been something different."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 18, 2014 at 03:05 PM | Permalink

Comments

LETS GO CAM!!! SAINTS GOING TO LOSE AND YOU ARE GOING TO LEAD US TO THE PLAYOFFS!!! STARTS WITH THE BROWNS!! SILENCE THE HATER!!!

Posted by: charlotteteams4life | Dec 18, 2014 4:13:51 PM

I feel better if Newton was shut down for the Browns games. Can they afford a major injury that could affect his career. Bad decision.

Browns are a beatable team with Anderson.

Posted by: par404 | Dec 18, 2014 4:55:54 PM

Anderson should play. If Cam can't be Cam, and how could he with two broken bones in his back, then he doesn't give us the best chance to win.

You think that would be an easy decision. But this is the Panthers, so....

Posted by: archie | Dec 18, 2014 7:02:45 PM

If Anderson wins vs Browns he will have more wins (3) than Cam this season!..Cam wants how much money?...Meh me thinks not!

Posted by: Panthers 1995 | Dec 18, 2014 7:15:15 PM

Even if we make it to the playoffs, Cam will lose the game for us in the first round guaranteed!!!

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 18, 2014 7:45:29 PM

With the exception of the 1st comment above (which was probably posted by Rivera) it appears that the posters are smarter than the Panthers' organization.

Posted by: Realist | Dec 19, 2014 7:14:54 AM

He will be alright, I sprinkled a little crack on him.

Posted by: The Cracken | Dec 19, 2014 9:23:14 AM

CAM HATERS GONNA HATE. WHEN HE LED US TO 12 WINS LAST SEASON IT WAS ALL GOOD. EVERYBODY KEEPS BRINGING UP D.A. RECORD THIS YEAR. HE HAS TWO WINS OVER ONE OF THE WORSE TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE. AND LETS LOOK AT THE LOSSES..... HMMM, AGAINST ATLANTA AT HOME POOR PLAY CALLING AND CLOCK MANAGEMENT AND TWO MISSED FGs KILLED US.. GUESS THATS CAM FAULT. UP AGAINST THE SEAHAWKS, DROPPED TD PASS BY KB, AS WELL AS A BREAKDOWN IN DEFENSE ON THE TD, BUT I GUESS THATS CAM FAULT TO. AGAINST CINCY, SPECIAL TEAMS GIVES UP A LONG KICKOFF TO PACMAN, AND A 90 YD TD RUN, CAM FAULT I GUESS. AND LETS NOT FORGET HOW MINNESOTA SPECIAL TEAMS SINGLE HANDELY BEAT US, BUT AGAIN I GUESS THATS CAM FAULT. THOSE WERE FOUR GAMES IN WHICH WE COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE WON. BUT ONCE AGAIN EVERYBODY PUTS IT ON CAM!! YOU BANDWAGON FANS ARE IDIOTS AND I FEEL LIKE I LOSE MORE BRAIN CELLS JUST BY READING YOUR POST. YOU DONT KNOW CRAP, YOU DONT LOVE YOUR TEAM SO IT WOULD MAKE SENSE TO SIMPLY NOT BE A FAN.

Posted by: charlotteteams4life | Dec 19, 2014 10:44:33 AM

Cam didn't lead us to 12 wins last year, our outstanding defense did. Our defense masked a lot of Cam's poor play last year. Cam didn't deserve to go the pro bowl last year. Jake Delhomme could of got us to 12-4 with last years defense. Cam has been exposed this year because our defense hasn't been as good as last years, although our defense had been looking pretty stout recently. Cam had no problem taking most of the credit for last year though.

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 8:17:27 PM

Charlottesteam4life you are correct, you have definitely lost brain cells. I've seen every game Cam has played for the Panthers. He had a great rookie year when the NFL wasn't ready for the read option. His second year was horrible until the last 4 games of the season he and the offense balled out. His third season (last year) he was overrated and sucked. We punted the ball so many times every game because of his bad passing, fortunately our defense saved his butt every time last year.

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 8:26:07 PM

This where you throw Cam's overrated stats in my face. Cam's stats don't paint a clear picture. If you really want check out Cam's stats, then check out his below average completions to attempts throughout his career. He is typically only capable of completing 3 passes a quarter max. If the read option isn't working, then he is useless.

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 8:30:48 PM

Cam has had four years to progress as a NFL quarterback and he has not. He is still the same quarterback that came out of college. N-F-L stands for "Not For Long". Cam has the nerve to ask for big money. Smh... NOT WORTH IT!!! Do these Cam apologists even watch his games?

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 8:38:24 PM

I actually pulled for Cam for a while, but now Im so over Cam's overrated, overhyped, incosistent, innacurate, egomaniac azz.

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 8:41:51 PM

Oh yea, quit using ALL-CAPS you MORON!!!

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 8:47:23 PM

Cam has been horrible this year. The only game Cam has played well in is the 4th quarter of the Detroit game, 4th quarter of Chicago game, Cinncinnati game, and that last Saints game. Besides that Cam has been garbage, and has put points on the scoreboard. Minnesottas special teams scored twice, but didn't beat us single handedly. The fact Cam didn't put any points on the board is why we lost. Teddy Bridgewater made Cam look like a rookie, thats sad.

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 9:09:40 PM

Teddy Bridgewater showed Cam how to pass from the pocket. Cam should of took notes.

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 9:10:54 PM

Cam hasn't put points up

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 9:12:04 PM

It's a quarterback driven league! Cam is not going to win us a superbowl!

Posted by: Cam is awful | Dec 19, 2014 9:30:12 PM