« Free agent Dickson: I'd love to remain a Panther | Main | Local TV ratings for Panthers' games dipped in '14 »

January 11, 2015

Norman wants Hardy back with the Panthers

Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy came by Bank of America Stadium long enough Sunday morning to visit with several teammates and apparently leave an odd message signed with his "Kraken" nickname on a locker-room whiteboard.

At least one teammate hopes it wasn't good-bye.

"I really personally hope that it's not because a guy of that caliber, man, we need that," said cornerback Josh Norman, who spoke with Hardy Sunday. "Hands down, I would welcome that and relish the chance to play with that guy again."

But that scenario is highly unlikely.

Hardy faces a jury trial on domestic violence charges -- expected to start Feb. 9 -- after a judge found him guilty of the same charges in July.

Hardy made $13.1 million this season and played only one game -- the opener at Tampa Bay. He was deactivated in Week 2 and spent the rest of the season on the commissioner's exempt list.

Hardy is eligible for free agency in March, and his market value will almost certainly be affected by the outcome of the trial.

Even if Hardy is acquitted, team sources do not expect him to be back with the Panthers. But Norman made his feelings clear about Hardy, who had 15 sacks during his Pro Bowl season in 2013.

"Either way, I want the man back," Norman said. "I want G. Hardy, the Kraken, back in this locker room."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on January 11, 2015 at 03:34 PM | Permalink

Comments

Release the Kraken!!!

Posted by: The Kraken | Jan 11, 2015 3:50:50 PM

If Hardy is acquitted, it would be absurd for the Panthers not to resign him. Especially if his market value does in fact take a hit.

Posted by: David I | Jan 11, 2015 5:27:14 PM

You guys don't get it JR will NEVER have Hardy on this team again as he will still face a suspension via the NFL code of conduct which in all likely will be 8-8 games If not a year...Yes RELEASE the Kracken the woman beater!

Posted by: QB | Jan 11, 2015 6:18:28 PM

If nothing else, Hardy has impressed me by keeping quiet this entire time. The impulse to speak out, to RANT against a perceived injustice must be overpowering.
I have to compliment his restraint and self-control.

Posted by: criolle johnny | Jan 11, 2015 6:41:54 PM

Josh Brent KILLED a teammate and was only suspended 10 games this year after being out of jail. And welcomed back. Why not Greg? He deserves a shot and we need his skills back because the lack of a pass rush killed us all season.

Posted by: ARS | Jan 11, 2015 7:47:12 PM

We all miss greg hardy's production as panthers fans,but with a cap number/contract expected ?Cony ealy showed flashes late in the season and i believe he can get double digit sacks next season.Not to mention Cam and luke are due contract extensions.At 25th in the draft a left tackle or wide out(two main areas of concern)may be a stretch so free agent money is essential for next season.I like where we are with .Drew "slighty" falling off in N.O. a rookie Q.B most likely in tampa.Atlanta needing to revamp there defense

Posted by: dvon | Jan 11, 2015 11:34:22 PM

dvon, was there a point you were trying to make? I missed it.

Posted by: Chuck | Jan 12, 2015 12:40:18 AM

We need a new quarterback!

Posted by: Cam Sucks | Jan 12, 2015 8:41:50 AM

I would like to know what QB this idiot above me wants?? Find me a dual threat QB who has blazing speed and a huge arm, and also has lead his team to a division title twice in a league in which it has never been done and I will be open to a new QB. If not shut up and just not be a fan. We dont need you cheering for the Panthers.

Posted by: charlotteteams4life | Jan 12, 2015 9:23:18 AM

I agree with Josh--being out all year is certainly punishment enough. It seems more reasonable to give people chances not death sentences for first time offense.

I noticed Hardy's trial keeps getting postponed. It really needs to go to trial.

Posted by: Mac | Jan 12, 2015 10:17:13 AM

Hardy should come back and play 1 year at the minimum salary to make up for the fact that we paid him $13+ mill this year for basically nothing.

If he did that and had another monster season, then he would really increase his stock and pay back the Panthers at the same time.

Posted by: Evan | Jan 12, 2015 11:03:21 AM

if ray rice got to play for years after what he did.

hardy should've already been playing.

Posted by: tony clifton | Jan 12, 2015 2:06:29 PM

A QB that has touch and can read a defense would be nice especially in his 4th yr my god what does it take to make you Cam lovers he is not all that you THINK he is ,and I want a QB that gets rid of the ball and has just enough elusiveness to extend the play but ACCURACY is the most effective QB trait as a BIG ARM can only take you so far well for Cam Chancellor 89 yds for a game clinching P6!

Posted by: Cam Sucks | Jan 12, 2015 2:29:41 PM

Hardy will be acquitted. Has anyone else noticed that the prosecution's entire case is "she said he beat her up"? No evidence, NONE, was presented at his first court appearance. If she was thrown around a bathroom and onto a pile of guns, she would have several broken bones and many bruises. She showed up for the first trial looking like a contestant fresh off the set of America's Next Top Model. She made up the whole thing. She's a Professional Celebrity Girlfriend who wants to attach herself to a rich guy so the only work she ever has to do is on her own reality show. And once a jury gets hold of this nonsense, Hardy will be acquitted in 15 minutes.

And then JR needs to get off his holier than thou horse and order Gettleman to re-sign Hardy. Immediately.

Posted by: J | Jan 12, 2015 5:30:42 PM